This entry was posted in News on December 31, 2021 by Jean.

As President, and on behalf of Club Chairperson Tom and all our committee members, I would like to wish our players, members, supporters, sponsors and associates a happy, healthy and peaceful New Year.

To all our teams, from Senior men and women to Youths and Minis, I wish them all the best of luck in their endeavours for 2022.

The past year has seen some outstanding achievements both on and off the field. Our membership is at an all time high. Teams at all levels continue to do the club proud. I must congratulate our U15 and U17 boys’ teams on their recent Connacht Division 1 league wins. Also, our U14s who narrowly lost out.

Our women’s section is growing from strength to strength. A fact shown in November by the club’s ability to field four teams U14, U16, U18 and Senior women in the one weekend. A huge achievement and congrats to all team managers and coaches involved.

The playing numbers in our Mini’s section continues to grow and I would like to thank all our coaches, parents, grandparents, and friends who continue to make this section of our club the success it is. Our Minis and Youths are the backbone of our club and will ensure a bright future for years to come.

Our Senior men’s teams continue to develop and shine. I thank all involved for their commitment to date. I wish all team managers, coaches, and players the very best for 2022.

The club has just launched its policy document; ‘Rugby – The Sligo Way 2021-22’. This document sets out our purpose, our vision, and our philosophy within the club. It is our hope and wish that all involved with the club will follow its guidelines and that it will be implemented by all sections in our club, both on and off the field of play. Thank you to all involved in the production of this important contribution to our club.

Finally, to all our sponsors, supporters, alickadoos, Magic Bus crew, parents, grandparents, friends, local and overseas, I would like to express, on behalf of all in the club, a big, big thank you.

Yours in rugby,
Niall Gray
President Sligo RFC


This entry was posted in News on December 12, 2021 by Jean.

Sligo RFC 29

Galwegians RFC 8

Sligo move into the Christmas break of the Energia All Ireland League in rude health having picked up the maximum five match points against visitors Galwegians in a well contested battle at Hamilton park on Saturday.

Sligo scored two trys in each half to despatch the visitors and gain the all important bonus point which puts their league points total to 27, just two points behind second placed Corinthians RFC.

Having availed of the excellent facility at Fitness 4 All Strandhill for the pre match preparation, Sligo started brightly and used the kicking game to put the early pressure on the visitors and opened the scoring with a well struck Josh Reeves penalty.

Sligo increased the lead with 12 minutes gone. Second row Eoin Ryan stole a Galwegians lineout on the visitors 22. Daire Byrne and Craig Trimble made telling carries before the ball was moved to Reeves. Reeves cross kicked to the right wing where full back Guilherme Coghetto met the ball on the volley and kicked it through the defence to the in goal area. Ryan Feehily won the race to the touchdown. Reeves converted to put Sligo into an 10-0 lead.

The visitors struck back on 20 minutes with a three pointer from powerful fullback Conor Shaughnessy before Sligo struck with a second try 5 minutes later.

A penalty on the half way was despatched to the corner. Matthew Earley found Byrne at the tail and the maul headed for the line. Rob Holian and Trimble made bursts before the backline was released and quick hands from Enda Gavin and Feehily gave Coghetto the space to finish on the right giving Sligo a halftime lead of 15-3.

Following the interval Sligo picked up where they left off further increasing the lead with an opportunist try that took almost everyone by surprise. From inside his own half, Reeves put a pinpoint kick down the left hand touchline which bounced into touch 7 metres from the line. With Sligo awarded the lineout due to the 50:22 law, Scrum Half Brendan Cunningham reacted quickest and threw the ball to Reeves who raced in at the corner before the visiting defence had time to set. Reeves added the extras with an excellently struck kick and Sligo were out of sight.

‘Wegians responded and used their powerful carrying forwards to pick up a try of their own but Sligo put the game to bed almost immediately with an excellent effort from Stefano Giantorno.

A Galwegians defensive clearance was collected by Reeves on the halfway line. Reeves fed Ross Hickey who drove forward with Kuba Wojtkowicz and Matthew O’Hara in support. The ball was moved wide to the left before Coghetto was stopped on the 10 meter line. Cunningham switched the play back to the right and Giantorno timed his run to perfection to split the defence and race to the line beating three defenders on the way. Reeves conversion put the final score to 29-8.

Sligo now take a break from AIL action until the return fixture against Galwegians on Jan 15th. In the meantime Sligo will meet the same opponents in the Connacht Senior Cup at Strandhill on Jan 08th.


This entry was posted in News on December 7, 2021 by Jean.

ligo U15s played a very strong Bucanneers team in the U15 league final on the 5th of December 2021 in Creggs Rugby Club for the League title.

The north-western men started strongly against the table toppers from the other half of the league. Sligo weathered some early nerves to make their way into the opposition 22 in a game played under blue skies. Impressive centre Cillian O’Neill darted through following a sustained bout of pressure to intercept a pass scoring under the posts. Cillian then tacked on the conversion to give Sligo a 7-0 lead in the first ten minutes. Sligo gathered the restart and flowing back play brought them inside Buccaneers’ half where repeated good rucking by Sligo’s well drilled forwards resulted in a penalty. Electing to kick this sailed narrowly wide and play moved back to centre of the pitch where two evenly matched teams went toe to toe for long periods. Buccaneers were the heavier and physically stronger team, getting the upper hand in the set pieces but Sligo’s mobile pack complimented their fleet footed backs playing an open brand of rugby.

The game was played on a beautiful surface in front of a packed stand with both teams contributing to a nail biter. The first half favoured Sligo but there were ominous signs of Bucanneers’ strength with a number of lineout steals and scrums against the head. Sligo continued to play off limited possession however with livewire scrum half Andrew Ryan feeding out half James McGetterick whose first instinct was to run . Centres Cillian O’Neill and Paddy Brady ran smoothly and passed beautifully time and again to bring Conor Van Rensburg into the game from fullback. Alert wingers Conor McGoldrick and Tadhg Murphy were prominent in both attack and defence but in truth the backs and forwards were matched by Buccaneers throughout.

Half time came at 7-0 to Sligo and this was never going to be enough against a team with a number of bigger, faster players than their opposite numbers. Sure enough a lapse in concentration allowed Buccaneers to run a penalty, bump some tiring Sligo players and clever hands fed a centre at full tilt to score. Pushed out wide by last minute tackling the conversion was too much and it was game on at 7-5. This heralded a period of domination by Buccaneers who were camped inside the Sligo 22 for 15 minutes with a number of attacks repelled by last ditch tackles and even a goal line drop out, when Buccaneers were held up over the line. Sligo were charged down during this time but always had a man alive to dive on the rebound. On another day Buccs would have scored heavily! This period also heralded the performance of the season defensively from Sligo. Robbie Gilleece on his debut season , hooker Ryan Burrows, blossoming tighthead Roghan O’Neill formed the first line.Twin threats in the second row James Mackey Naoise Fitzgerald were immense who along with backrows Will Draper, Jake Laws and Sean Keaney Sligo had decided they wouldn’t miss a tackle and didn’t. The coaching staff of Ken O’Neill, Carl Van Rensburg , Aidan Mackey, Gavin Laws and head coach Roger Burrows were less sanguine than the team as all of them aged visibly during the second half.

Substitutes Ricardo Gambi Wheelan and Sam Garvey added to this wonderful defensive effort when coming on in the second half. The backs were not to be out done and when a forward wasn’t tackling every back on the field filled the gap and threw themselves into the fray.

The travelling supporters and coaching group were as tired as the players when mercifully Conor Van Rensburg lifted the siege as he pounced on a loose ball and ran 60 metres to be hauled down just shy of the try line. With 30 seconds to go a fumbled lineout ball was taken on by Roghan O’Neill only to be bundled into touch ending the game. The final whistled capped a wonderful second half defensive display for Sligo to emerge Connacht U15 League champions 2021 by the narrowest of margins 7-5 against a Buccaneers team who will doubtless have silverware in their future. The travelling squad of 30 players then stayed on to support and celebrate with the Sligo U17 team who also won their league final on the same pitch to mark a wonderful day for underage rugby in Sligo.


This entry was posted in News on December 7, 2021 by Jean.

Sligo RFC 26

Buccaneers RFC 10

Sligo RFC U17s produced a classy team performance in seeing off the spirted challenge of a Buccaneers U17 team. Captained, and lead superbly by Ambrose Bamber, Sligo set about their task imposing a robust defence from the kick off. The teams aggressive defence led to a superb intercept try by Sligo’s flying winger Ronan O’ Hehir within three minutes of the start with Oisin O’Neill’s conversion leaving the score 7-0 to Sligo.

Buccaneers, playing with the aid of breeze, attacked Sligo thereafter, kicking for position. The Sligo defence was firm and break out runs by Oisin O’Neill and Ronan O’Hehir continued to test the Buccaneers’ line. Sligo’s excellent game management established a foothold in the Buccaneers 22. Sligo dominated possession and went close to extending their lead on several occasions only thwarted by desperate Buccaneers’ defence and a penalty awarded against Sligo. Five minutes from the end of the first half, Buccaneers made a rare foray into the Sligo 22 and were awarded a penalty, which their out half converted to leave the score, Sligo leading at half time 7-3.

Sligo continued their high pressure game once again in the second half. The Sligo lineout was now in total control stealing several Buccanneers’ throw-ins. A searing break by first centre Conor Creaven, followed by a series of pick and go efforts, led to a try 12 minutes into the second half for the industrious hooker Keelan Schoen with the hard yards earned by Max Hunter, Matthew Gallagher, Garth Mc Ginty and Aran Platt. Once again Oisin O’Neill converted to leave Sligo leading 14-3. Oisin O’Neill used the backing breeze to maximum advantage pinning Buccaneers in their own 22 with dazzling kicking for position. On the 20minute mark, Ambrose Bamber no.8, picked and drove to the Buccaneers try line. An excellent clear out of the ruck led to hooker Keelan Schoen diving over the try line over to score Sligo’s third try. Once again Oisin O’Neill converted to leave Sligo in control leading 21-3.

Buccaneers, to their credit, rallied and, despite a superb turnover over steal from Aran Gilligan, scored a consolation try by Sean Rohan 5 minutes from time, converted by out half Andrew Quinn, to leave the score 21-10 to Sligo.Sligo were not done yet, Robert O’Kelly-Lynch ran ball back powerfully at Buccaneers, slick passing and an offload from Gerard Murtagh, led to a try from Ronan O’Hehir. Final score Sligo 26—Buccaneers 10

This was an overall team performance with strong scrum anchored by front row of Aran Platt, Keelan Schoen, Oisin Quinn. The lineouts, marshalled by Tom Walsh and Matthew Gallagher, were a continued source of clean and quick ball, as well as steals of the Buccaneers’ throws. The back row of Malachi Cullen, captain Bamber and powerhouse Max Hunter dominated their opposite numbers. Robert O’Kelly-Lynch was safe and secure at full back ably assisted by Alex Harte on the wing, centres Conor Creaven and Stefan Roche were rock solid and carried ball too great effect. Half back Oisin O’Neill and Garth McGinty controlled the pace and tempo to great effect.

This team has now won has now won two Connacht League titles, U15 and U17, and has constantly improved, having lost out narrowly in finals at U13 and U14 level.

Coaching and management team: Joe Walsh Head Coach, assisted by Stanley Hunter, Brian Roche and Team Manager Sean Creaven.


This entry was posted in News on December 4, 2021 by Jean.

Sligo’s U16 Girls, U18.5 Girls and Senior Women made it three from three this weekend, as they all claimed maximum points from their games.

Sligo U16 Girls

The U16s travelled to Corinthian Park on Sunday night and played under the floodlights. The home side were no match for the 24-strong Sligo squad, who scored 54points with no reply.

Not to be outdone by their younger counterparts, the U18.5 Girls put on a magnificent display of rugby at home to outshine the Connemara All Blacks. The girls’ defence was solid, with the visitors only crossing the whitewash once. The flowing rugby and linking resulted in a score of 48 points at the final whistle.

The newly-formed senior women’s team travelled to Heffernan Park last Friday night to play the second round of the Connacht Women’s League, in a game rescheduled from earlier in the season.

A squad of 20 players braved the wintry weather and gusting winds, and were rewarded for their efforts, as they were awarded all 5 points from the game, with the opposition failing to field the minimum 12 players. Both sides agreed on a challenge match, with the visitors lending 4 players to the home side.

Five Sligo players made their debut, only taking up rugby in the last two months. A further five players made their senior rugby debut, having come up through the Youth systems in Sligo, Corrib, Midleton and Kerry.

Sligo RFC Women move to 4th place in the table, with a game in hand, just above Buccaneers, their opposition next weekend.
Training continues every Monday at 7.30pm and Wednesday at 6.30pm.


This entry was posted in News on November 28, 2021 by John.

Sligo RFC 20

Belfast Harlequins RFC 16

Sligo picked up their 5th win of their 21/22 Energia All Ireland Division 2B league campaign with a hard fought win over a powerful Belfast Harlequins side at Strandhill on Saturday.

The win moves Sligo to a share of second place in the table, equal on points with Wanderers FC behind runaway leaders Greystones RFC.

Thankfully storm Arwen had mostly abated come kick off time at Hamilton Park and Sligo kicked off playing towards the road end. The visitors took the early initiative with a penalty score after 3 minutes and pulled further ahead with a converted try 10 minutes later with a chip and chase through the Sligo defence.

Sligo knuckled down and began to use their hard running back row of Daire Byrne, Donnacha Byrne and Ross Hickey to drive the defence back. The endeavour was rewarded on 17 minutes when Josh Reeves converted a penalty from 30 meters.

Reeves repeated the dose 5 minutes later with an excellent effort from wide on the left to move the score to 6-10.

Sligo were up and running and their offloading game was causing the visitors all sorts of trouble.

The Yeats men took the lead which they never relinquished with 27 minutes on the clock. A penalty on the ‘Quinns 22 was despatched to the corner. Hooker Matthew Earley threw to Hickey and the pack rumbled forward. The two recycles saw Rob Holian receive 5 metres out and the second row used all his strength to touch down under the cross bar. Reeves added the extras and Sligo were up to 13.

‘Quinn’s came close with a raid down the Sligo right touchline just prior to the interval, resulting in a series of close-in penalties, but the Sligo defensive wall refused to crumble and the turnover was forced and the halftime whistle sounded.

The early second half action was dominated by a kicking battle with both sides looking to gain a foothold in opposition territory.

Five minutes into the half Sligo struck the decisive blow. A lineout on the half way was played off the top by Holian to scrum half Brendan Cunningham. Cunningham moved it quickly infield where Donnacha Byrne carried ferociously. The play was switched back to the left and Phillip Carter timed his pass to release Earley. The hooker burst into the ‘Quinns 22 before being hauled down. The ball was shifted wide again where Byrne , Hickey and James O’Hehir all carried powerfully before a ruck was set 3 meters out. Patience came to the fore as Sligo looked for the chink in the defence and Holian repeated his first half exploits crashing over from close range. Reeves chipped over the extras and Sligo were up to 20.

Quinns responded with a 3 pointer on the 50th minute but it was Sligo that looked more likely to add to the try count with some excellent combination plays and powerful carry’s.

Eddie Coyle and Pedro Bengalo were rock solid in the tight and Matthew O’Haras workrate was a huge asset to the Sligo cause. Enda Gavin and Ryan Feehily were combining well in the centre in both attack and defence, and Guilherme Coghetto and Stefano Giantorno attacked with pace and power when brought into play.

Unfortunately, Sligo were unable to capitalise on the excellent play, getting on the wrong side of the referees whistle at crucial times.
‘ Quinns closed the gap with a third penalty in the 75th minute but Sligo were not going to be beaten and come the final whistle it was the locals that claimed the match points.

Next for Sligo is a visit to table topping Greystones. With 7 wins from 7 the Wicklow men will be full of confidence but Sligo have proved a match for all comers this season and will be travelling with the goal of causing an upset. The match kicks off at Dr Hickey Park at 2.30 next Saturday.


This entry was posted in News on November 21, 2021 by John.

Blackrock RFC 14

Sligo RFC 16

Round six of the Energia All Ireland league saw Sligo travel to the capitol to face Blackrock RFC and the Porter Ford sponsored North Westerners produced a grandstand finish to pocket the match points.

The win moves Sligo to fourth in the division 2b table, just 2 points behind second placed Wanderers FC.

Facing into the stiff breeze, Sligo kicked off and had to endure early pressure from the home side whose pack include Sligo natives Ciaran Cassidy and Matthew Cosgrove.

Sligo settled into the task and began to use their pacey backline to good effect to move the physically bigger Blackrock forwards around the pitch.

With 20 minutes gone Sligo opened the scoring. A Blackrock scrum on the halfway line was disrupted by the Sligo drive. The locals failed to deal with the scrappy possession and the ever alert Hubert Gilvary latched onto the ball and raced away. The Sligo scrum half still had work to do but with an excellent side step evaded the two covering defenders before racing in at the right corner. Outhalf Josh Reeves’ conversion effort came back off the left upright.

Sligo continued to play with intent and went further ahead on 24 minutes with a Reeves penalty dispatched from just outside the home 22.

Conditions worsened with heavy rain as the half wore on, making it difficult for Sligo to exit from their own 22.

Just before the interval ‘Rock were awarded a penalty 5 yards from the Sligo line. A scrum was called and when the home side got the nudge the scrum turned and the referee awarded a penalty try leaving one point between the sides at the interval.

On the resumption the rain had subsided, but unfortunately for Sligo the wind advantage went with it.

With an hour gone on the clock the home side took the lead with a try on the left hand side following a sustained period of pressure on the Sligo line. The successful conversion moved the score to 14-8.
Sligo regrouped and looked for the score to close the gap. The powerful ‘Rock scrum was difficult to handle but Eddie Coyle and Pedro Bengal put in a huge effort to secure Sligo ball. The Sligo lineout was functioning well with the two Matthews, Earley and O’Hara, combining well to secure possession.

With 7 minutes remaining Sligo struck with a brilliant counter attacking try. Reeves collected a ‘Rock clearance in the Sligo 22 and immediately shifted it on to winger Calum Goddard. Goddard sprinted to the 10 metre line before linking with Ryan Feehily. Feehily linked up with centre partner Enda Gavin on the half way and Gavin’s well timed pass allowed Full back Guilherme Coghetto the opportunity to race to the line. Incredibly this time Reeves’ conversion attempt came back of the right upright which left ‘Rock with a one point advantage going into the final moments.

Sligo weren’t done however and one final massive effort secured the winning score. Reeves collected a ‘Rock clearance in the Sligo 22 and again moved the ball wide to counter. The move was halted with a high tackle on Stefano Giantorno and the resulting penalty was despatched to touch on the halfway line. Earley threw to Ross Hickey at the lineout and Sligo set an excellent maul which drove all the way to within 15 metres of the try line before being hauled down illegally. With no time left on the clock Reeves opted for the kick.

The tension was unbearable as the ball left the outhalfs boot, but the posts were dissected and the Sligo faithful rejoiced.

Next for Sligo is the visit of Belfast Harlequins to Strandhill. Coached by former Ulster Scrum Half Neil Doak, ‘Quins will be a tough nut to crack but Sligo have proved a match for anyone in division 2b and another exciting encounter is expected. The match kicks off at 2.30 next Saturday.


This entry was posted in News on November 7, 2021 by Jean.

Sligo 36

Galwegians 7

Sligo U15s continued their strong run with an emphatic, home win in the league over a physically bigger Galwegians team. Sligo began the game with Cillian O’Neill kicking the home team into the opposition 22. Galwegians, starting some new players in this game, were unfortunately guilty of a number of technical infringements, resulting in Sligo maintaining pressure in the opening minutes until mobile hooker Ryan Burrows dummied and crossed for the first score.

The pattern for the game was established with strong running from Galwegians meeting committed defence from the smaller, but cohesive, Sligo pack winning penalties. Open play, after good passing from new centre partnership Conor McGoldrick and James McGetterick, put Tadhg Murphy and Heath Jeffries in space repeatedly but they were marshalled into touch on each occasion. Incisive fullback Conor Van Rensburg capped a fine all-round display with a first half try popping between the centres to give Sligo a 10point advantage. Jake Laws at number 8 had a number of rumbles from the base of the scrum before finally getting over to make it 15-0 at half time.

The Sligo boys were certainly in a game with Galwegians’ with runners threatening to break through every time but excellent cover tackles by a committed back row of captain William Draper, Michael Cosgrove and when he came on in rotation Sean Keaney fearless all day. Scrum half Andrew Ryan had a fine all round game, nearly scoring on a number of occasions only to be held up. Props Sam Garvey and substitute Robbie Gileece got through a mountain of work and rock solid tighthead Roghan O’Neill added to a fine season when bursting through for a try under the posts in the second half. Second row pairing Naoise Fitzgerald and James Mackey were giving away a significant size advantage to their opponents, but were the pick of the forwards on defensive duties without missing a tackle all day to cap a very fine display. Ted Keyes slotted into the backrow in the second half with no change in the high quality defensive effort. Backs JD Barnicle came onto the wing in the second half getting better each game, as is new second row Kellan Pol-Wajszczak. Special mention to livewire wing/fullback replacements Mark Greer and Harry Dennison who were unlucky not to score but added great momentum to the team.

Cillian O’Neill’s weaving run contrasted with Sean Keaney’s barnstorming run down the middle with each awarded a second half try to showcase the different ways the game can be played. James McGetterick took over the kicking duties from a hamstrung O’Neill to slot 3 conversions for a final score of 36-7 which flattered Sligo. Galwegians responded with a try in the second half and were only denied by fine cover tackles on two further occasions. Galwegians had a number of injuries prior to the game and, as their new team mates bed in, will definitely be a force to be reckoned with in future. Sligo’s large squad didn’t all play due to league rules, but the season rolls on with competition for places heating up in this entertaining team.


This entry was posted in News on November 7, 2021 by John.

Sligo RFC 13

Ballina RFC 13

Near neighbours and longtime rivals Sligo RFC and Ballina RFC played out an enthralling and intense draw in the much anticipated Energia All Ireland League, northwest derby, at Strandhill on Saturday. The result puts Sligo in fifth position in the division 2b table with 5 of the 18 rounds completed.

A strong westerly breeze greeted the sides as they took to the Hamilton park turf with Sligo playing towards the Knocknarea end for the first half.
The early exchanges belonged to the locals with strong carries from Rob Holian and Donnacha Byrne making inroads and the Sligo maul looking particularly strong.

The early Sligo pressure yielded a reward with 10 minutes on the clock. Josh Reeves opened the Sligo account with a penalty from the 22 as the Ballina defensive line was penalised for offside.

Sligo continued to press and camped in the Ballina 22. A five yard defensive scrum looked an ideal opportunity to put pressure on the visitors but the referee adjudged the Sligo effort illegal and the chance was lost.

The visitors made the most of the reprieve and a well worked backline move earned field position in the Sligo 22 where Craig McCormick levelled the scores with a penalty for the Moy men.

With 20 mins gone it was Sligo that struck the next blow. Matthew Early threw to Matthew O’Hara at a lineout on the 22. The Sligo forwards quickly set up an excellent maul and drove to within 5 metres of the line. Sligo’s energetic scrum half Hubert Gilvarry sniped down the blindside before releasing winger Stefano Giantorno who dived over in the corner.

From the restart Sligo attacked again with Donnacha Byrne, Guilherme Coghetto and Giantorno involved in a move that brought play to the Ballina 22 but scramble defence by the visitors forced the turnover enabling the clearance.

Sligo continued to press and an excellent Gilvarry break again brought play into the visitors 22 before linking up with Coghetto, Calum Goddard and Reeves. The ball made its way back to Goddard on the right touchline but the Ballina cover won the race to the touchdown following a chip ahead by the Sligo winger.

Sligo were owning the lions share of possession but the Ballina last line of defence was proving stubborn. Just prior to the interval a 50:22 from Euan Brown put the locals in an excellent position to attack the line. O’Hara again claimed the lineout and the maul drove to the line. The ref adjudged the effort short and Sligo had to settle for a 5 metre scrum. The Sligo forwards pounded the line and drew in the Ballina defence but when the ball was moved to the wing, to exploit the space, the pass was inaccurate and the chance was lost.

The teams went into the interval with Sligo leading 8-3.
Following the resumption it was the visitors who attacked first , working the ball to left winger Bradley Nealon who looked set to score but a thunderous Coghetto tackle prevented the score and the Sligo defence eventually turned the ball over on the 22.

Sligo immediately looked to counter and the ball was moved to midfield where Rob Holian burst through the cover and raced forward to the Ballina 10 meter line before linking with Gilvarry who sidestepped the covering defence and raced to the corner for a brilliant score.

Ballina closed the gap on 60 minutes with another Mc Cormick penalty to put a converted try between the sides, setting up a tense finale.

The equalising score for the visitors came with 10 minutes left on the clock. Prop forward Conor Mason squeezed over the Sligo line following a sustained period of pressure and McCormicks conversion levelled the match.

Sligo looked for the winning score and again used the maul to good effect to work their way into the scoring score but the opportunity never materialised and when the referee blew the long whistle the points were shared.

Sligo now take a well deserved one week break from All Ireland league duty before heading to Dublin on November 20th to lock horns with Blackrock College RFC. The match kicks off at Stradbrook at 2.30.

A minute’s silence was held before the match in memory of former Sligo senior player Bob Frazer, brother of Conor Frazer, and Kay O Connor mother of Pat O Connor, grandmother of Ballina Senior Team Manager William and also also Kay Heffernan, mother of Ivan Heffernan. Heffernan Park in Ballina is named after the Heffernan family.


This entry was posted in News on November 4, 2021 by Jean.

It was a history-making weekend for Sligo RFC when they fielded teams at U14, U16 and U18.5 Girls, as well as a senior women’s team for the first time in the club’s illustrious 131year history.

Sligo RFC fielded a Senior Women’s team for the first time in 8years. Hamilton Park looked resplendent in the sun last Sunday as Sligo welcomed NUIG for their first fixture of the Connacht Senior Women’s League. The visitors proved too strong in the end with a final score line of 26-59, but it was all positive from the home side, who are building a new team from scratch, with only 3 players having come through the home-grown ranks. Coaches Gui Coghetto and Pedro Bengalo were happy with the solid team performance and are looking forward to the next match against Ballina next Sunday.

The U14s travelled to Claremorris to take on the Colts. It was a high-scoring game, with the lead changing hands several times throughout the high-paced game. Sligo held the lead until the last play of the game. U14 Girls’ matches are called participation games, with the score being recorded as 0-0

The U16 Girls played out a 31-31 draw against Tuam/Oughterard. It was a tough encounter for the visitors, who were unlucky not to secure the win in the end.

The U18.5s made the journey to Headford to play Corrib RFC, always a difficult team to beat at home. The girls gave a near perfect display from start to finish, with textbook plays throughout the game and at the final whistle, had clocked up an impressive 69points, conceding only a single unconverted try to the home side.


This entry was posted in News on October 31, 2021 by John.

Corinthians RFC 12

Sligo RFC 16

Sligo made it three wins from four Energia All Ireland League division 2B matches with a well crafted victory over Galway rivals Corinthians at Cloonacauneen on Saturday. The win pushes Sligo to joint fourth in the league, with 12 points, sharing the position with Dublin rivals Blackrock College.

Sligo kicked off playing with the aid of the breeze and looked to immediately put pressure on the home side. Corinthians looked to play their way out of the danger zone but the relentless Sligo pressure forced a penalty out wide on the left and Euan Brown struck an excellent kick to open his teams account.

Sligo continued the excellent start and a Josh Reeves line kick again pinned the locals back in their 22.

From a lineout on the 22, Matthew Early combined with Daire Byrne and the ball was moved quickly off the top. Scrum Half Hubert Gilvary moved the ball to midfield where Brown made a half break into the Corinthians 22. Sligo continued to build the phases with Guilherme Coghetto, Donnacha Byrne and Eddie Coyle all making significant contibutions before the ball made its way to Calum Goddard who fought his way over to score in the right corner. Brown added the conversion with another excellent strike.

Corinthians looked to respond, and forced a penalty which was dispatched to touch inside the Sligo 22. The lineout looked a perfect opportunity to attack but Sligo’s Matthew O’Hara superbly claimed the throw and the danger looked over. Unfortunately for the visitors the attempted clearance was blocked and a kind bounce allowed flanker Cathal Evans touch down at the right post. Dylan Keane added the conversion to move the score to 7-10 in favour of the visitors.

With the game on a knife edge, the second half began with both sides looking for the all import next score. A super Ross Hickey break opened up the defence before linking with James O’Hehir who was halted by desperate defence just short of the line. The relentless Sligo pressure eventually told and Brown added another 3 points with his third penalty of the day.

Corinthians again responded and a driving lineout maul resulted in a try bringing the score to 12-16 setting the scene for a tense finish.
Sligo remained in control however, denying the home team any meaningful possession, particularly at the lineout where O’Hara was outstanding, and come the final whistle it was the travelling faithful that were celebrating.

Ross Hickey charges forward for Sligo

Next Saturday sees round 5 of the All Ireland league, with Sligo hosting nearest neighbours Ballina, resuming an age old rivalry between the two clubs. With league points at a premium an intense encounter and atmosphere is guaranteed. The match kicks off at 2.30 at Hamilton Park.


This entry was posted in News on October 25, 2021 by Jean.

Sligo U15s 24

Creggs RFC 7

Sligo U15s played Creggs at home on the 23rd of October in Division 1 Pool B of the league. Conditions were dominated by a strong wind off the mountain and heavy rain throughout.

Sligo won the kick off and elected to play with the wind. Intelligent kicking from outhalf Cillian O’Neill soon put Sligo in the opposition 22. Strong scrummaging from Rhoghan O’Neill and Sam Garvey either side of Ryan Burrows in the front row set up the platform for Jake Laws to use his athleticism to weave over for a try from number 8. Cillian O’Neill added the 2 points despite the conditions.

Creggs chose to kick to the backs from the restart and a return kick from rolled into touch for a 50:22. The lineouts were difficult all day with strong winds and a wet ball and the resultant loose ball was snaffled by good work on the ground by the fearless Michael Cosgrove. A passage of play in the Creggs 22 resulted in a scrum, from which Laws again picked and went, pounding his way over for a try. 12 -0 to Sligo and Cillian O’Neill added the conversion to make it 14-0.

Another foray into Creggs half resulted in a penalty sailing wide of the posts and seemed to kickstart the Creggs team. Creggs wisely held the ball in close with eye-catching runs from their outhalf and centres making ground down the pitch. The Creggs forwards displayed good close quarter skills and fitness to eventually ground the ball at the end of the half despite tireless tackling by Ted Keyes. Conversion added, and Sligo were looking at a half time score or 14-7 and facing a strong wind.

Despite the elements however Sligo’s backline came to the fore in the second half. Scrumhalf James McGetterick sniping form the base added a real threat and frequently made ground. Centres Patrick Brady and Conor McGoldrick tackled and passed well in very tough conditions. It was not a day for the outside backs but Conor Van Rensburg, Mark Greer, Tadhg Murphy, Harry Dennison and Heath Jeffrey all made short work of the kicks that came their way and ran strongly throughout the game.

Good work by the backs set up the pack for a series of rucks where twin threats of James Mackey and Naoise Fitzgerald worked hard all day securing ball and making tackles to free up Jake Laws for his hat trick on the blindside to make it 19-7. Creggs were tiring at this point and Sligo’s substitutions, especially of Robbie Gilleece , JD Barnicle , Keelan Gilmartin, Keelan Pol-Wajszczuk, Phelim McGowan and Odhran Buckley, on debut, all added energy. The final word went to the front row who stabilised the scrum all day and allowed Sligo’s backrow to shine when tighthead Sam Garvey galloped over having taken a quick penalty to make it a final score of 24 -7, with conversions impossible in the conditions.

No doubt this well drilled talented Creggs team will win many games in the league. Sligo were somewhat flattered by the scoreline in the end but adapted very well to conditions and for now are top of their league.

AGM 2020

This entry was posted in News on August 10, 2020 by Jean.

Former Connacht President Joe Burgess pictured with the incoming Connacht Junior President Mickey O’Hehir

The 2019/20 AGM took place last Wednesday evening with a large attendance, the first time the clubhouse has been open since early March. Club Chairperson Niall Gray opened the meeting with the news that Mickey O’Hehir has been appointed Connacht Junior President, this announcement was followed by a large cheer and a standing ovation for Mickey.

Club Secretary Martha Cosgrove read the minutes from last year’s AGM and reported on the curtailed season. Outgoing Chairperson, Niall Gray, thanked the players and managements for their dedication to the club, and thanked the membership for their great support for all our teams throughout the season. The Under 15 team were congratulated on having won the Connacht league.
Rory Raftery, Finance Chairperson, reported on the financial situation of the club and the continuing plans for development. The Club is indebted to all those who gave their time and expertise in the organisation and promotion of fundraising events last season.

The former committee were thanked for all their hard work and the new committee were elected. Congratulations to Tom Nielsen who takes over the role of Club Chairperson, the first Dane to do so.

Officers elected for Season 2020-21:
President                                                                          Niall Gray
Senior Vice President                                                  Jean Mc Connell
Junior Vice President                                                  TBA
Chairperson                                                                    Tom Nielsen Hon
Treasurer                                                                          Michael Shovelin
Hon Secretary                                                                Roisin Buckley
Finance Chairperson                                                  Rory Raftery Grounds 
House Chairperson                                                     Brian Roche
Football Chairperson                                                 TBA
PRO                                                                                    Jean Mc Connell
Membership Secretary                                              Gavin Laws
Youth Co-ordinator                                                     Hugh O’Hehir
Juvenile Committee                                                   Phelim O’Connor
                                                                                             Eddie Beirne
                                                                                             David Gerrity
Volunteer Co-ordinator                                             Jacqui Cunningham
Covid-19 Safety Officer                                              John Garvey

Archived news

Take a look back at previous news posts!
© 2023 Sligo Rugby | Developed by Michelle Baxter Media
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram